Term: Permanent Full Time
Reports to: JCCC Executive Director and the Vice President of Heritage
About the JCCC and the Heritage Department:
The Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre is a not-for-profit organization, whose motto, “Friendship Through Culture” informs all decision making and aspects of our organization.
- The Heritage Department’s overarching goals are:
- To bring the story of Japanese Canadian heritage to a global audience, linking it with the greater narrative of the Japanese diaspora for broader awareness
- To educate both general and specific audiences about our Nikkei history
- To collect stories that illustrate the Nikkei experience from the late 1800s to current times
Roles and Responsibilities:Community Outreach
- Community outreach through the promotion of our educational programming
- Establishing and sustaining global connections with other Japanese cultural centres
- Planning and implementation of Heritage-related displays and events
- Keeping material current on the JCCC website
- Contribute articles to monthly JCCC newsletter as well as non-JCCC publications
The Sedai Project is an effort to collect and preserve the oral histories of Canadians of Japanese ancestry for all future generations.
- The Heritage Manager will
- Oversee the Sedai website which houses all the data
- Keep information (i.e. new interviewees) up to date with the changing demographics of the Nikkei community
- Upload new data
- Ensure its accessibility to users
- Work with a contracted digital archivist to ensure data is safely backed up
- Work with the Heritage Archive and Collections Manager to plan and curate small temporary exhibits
- Work with contracted curators to plan and curate permanent exhibits
- Work with various committees to budget for Heritage needs annually
- Assist with the acquisition of grants specifically for Heritage projects and execute the project plans when grants are successful
- Effective communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and interview skills. Ability to communicate with a range of age groups and business and community groups. Ability to speak Japanese is an asset, but not essential.
- Excellent research skill.
- Facility with technology. Ability to use graphic design software an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Effective collaboration skills and abilities.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to Executive Assistant, Sandy Chan at email@example.com by Friday, August 31, 2018.